Rajasthan Tour - Rajasthan Tourism - Udaipur Tour

Rajasthan India, Rajasthan Tourism
Rajasthan Tour Package, Rajasthan Travel
Rajasthan Tour, 4 Days Horse Safari  Tour
Rajasthani Women, Rajasthani Man, Rajasthan Attractions
Rajasthani Women

      

Welcome

Rajasthan Tours

31 Days Rajasthan Tour
28 Days Rajasthan Heritage Tour
24 Days Forts and Palaces Tour
19 Days Rajasthan & North India
18 Days Rajasthan Round Trip
17 Days Rajasthan Vacations
 
17 Days Rajasthan Tour
17 Days Rajasthan Palace Tour
16 Days Rural Rajasthan Tour
16 Days Rajasthan With Pushkar
16 Days Cultural Rajasthan Tour
15 Days Hadoti Tour
 
14 Days Rajasthan Heritage Tour
14 Days Rajasthan Short Tour
14 Days Rajasthan and Goa
 
10 Days Rajasthan and Agra Tour
8 Days Taj Mahal Tour
8 Days Taj Mahal and Wildlife
8 Days Rajputana Tour
8 Days Triangle with Manda
 
12 Days Rajasthan Desert Tour
11 Days Wild Life Tour
11 Days Shekhawati Desert Tour
11 Days Rajasthan Tour
16 Days Rajasthan With Pushkar
16 Days Cultural Rajasthan Tour
15 Days Hadoti Tour
11 Days Golden Triangle & caves
10 Days Rajasthan Desert Triangle
7 Days Rajasthan Tour
7 Days Imperial Rajasthan
7 Days Desert City Tour
6 Days Mountain Tour
5 Days Rajasthan Tour
5 Days Pushkar & Udaipur Tour
4 Days Sariska Tour
4 Days Rajasthan Tour
4 Days Pinkcity Tour
4 Days Desert Tour
Cooking in Rajasthan
Ayurveda and Yoga Tour
16 Days Ayurveda Tour 
12 Days Ayurveda Tour
Learn Hindi
Rajasthan Buddhist Tour

Udaipur Tour (Rajasthan)
(3 Days / 2 Nights)
(Udaipur)


Day
1: Udaipur 
Today arrival in Udaipur. You will be met by the Rajasthan Visit representative and transferred to the hotel.
 

Day 2: Udaipur
Sightseeing of Udaipur - Sahelion-Ki-Bari, Folk art Museum, City palace, traditional painting school and have a Boat ride on the lake Pichola.
 

        Lake Palace, Udaipur        Sahelion Ki Bari, Udaipur           City Palace, Udaipur        Jagmandir, Udaipur

Day 3: Udaipur 

Today drive to airport or railway station for the onwards journey.
(End of Tour)

To know the cost of above tour please send us an e-mail or fill in the below given Query Form.


UDAIPUR AND ITS ENVIRONS

Udaipur (City of Sunrise), is one of the most beautiful and picturesque cities of India. Situated in a delightful natural setting its manifold attractions include enchanting lakes, marble palaces, luxurious gardens and old temples. “There is nothing,” remarked the Prince of Wales while on a visit to Udiapur in 1921, “between Madras and the northern passes quite like Udaipur.”

Udaipur is the terminal station of the Chittor Udaipur branch of the Western Railway and is connected by rail with Ajmer 298 km. (185 miles) and Marwar 191 km. (119 miles) through Mavli Junction. It is also connected with Ajmer, Chittorgarh and Indore by good motorable roads.

The city is situated at an elevation of 577 m. (1893 ft.) above sea level on the slopes of a low ridge overlooking the steel-blue waters of Lake Pichola in which rise graceful pavilions of pure white marble. It is surrounded by a bastioned wall which, except on the south-west, contains five main gates with iron spikes to protect them against ramming. Suraj pol on the east, Hathi Pol on the north, Brahma Pol on the west and Kishan Pol on the south are the chief gates of the city.

The Palace

The Maharana’s palace, an imposing edifice of granite and marble, is a stately building at the southern extremity of the city. It stands on the crest of a high ridge running parallel to Lake Pichola. The palace, a magnificent rectangular structure, is regarded as the largest palace in Rajasthan. Although built in various periods, it has harmony of design that is rendered striking by the massive octagonal towers surmonunted by cupolas. Within the many apartments of the palace – Chhoti Chitrasali, Manak Mahal, Moti Mahal, Bari Mahal, and others – are to be found brilliant mosaics of peacocks, inlaid tile and mirror work and exquisite paintings in addition to many relics of a historic and colourful past.


Lake Pichola

The Pichola lake, bounded by hillocks, bathing ghats, temples and palaces, affords the most picturesque sight in Udaipur. Covering an area of about 10 sq. km. (4 sq. miles), it was created artificially at the end of the 14th century. To the east of the lake is Khas Odi, the royal shooting-box built by Maharana Sajjan Singh, which can be approached both from the lake and by a road running past the Sajjan Nivas Gardens.

Almost in the middle of the lake, with a background of wooded hills touching the water’s edge, is the Jag Nivas Palace built by Maharana Jagat Singh II in 1757 and added to by subsequent rulers. The granite and marble palace covers about 1.6 hectares (4 acres) of ground and consists of a group of apartments with courts, baths, fountains and gardens. Bara Mahal, Khas Mahal, Dilaram, Sajjan Niwas and Chandra Prakash are particularly beautiful and make this island-palace one of the prettiest of its kind.

Jag Mandir, the other island-palace, is situated near the southern end of the lake. It is associated with Prince Khurram, afterwards Emperor Shah Jahan. who sought asylum in it while in revolt against his father, Jahangir. Work on the palace was begun in 1615 during the reign of Maharana Amar Singh I (1597-1620) and it was completed in 1622 in the time of Maharana Karan Singh. His son, Maharana Jagat Singh I (1628-1652), made some additions to it and named the entire palace after himself. The principal building consists of a three-storeyed round tower of yellow sandstone, lined inside with marble slabs and crowned by a handsome dome. The circular apartment above has a floor of black and white marble and its walls are decorated with niches and arabesques of coloures stones.

To the north of Lake Pichola and connected with it by a canal is the Fatehsagar, another artificial lake constructed by Maharana Fateh Singh. The lake, 2.4 km. (1˝ miles) long and 1.6 km. (1 mile) broad, is fringed by hills on three sides. Bordering it is the Fatehsagar drive, a fine zig-zag tarred road running parallel to the shores of the lake.

Below the embankment of the Fatehsagar lake is Sahelion-ki-Bari (Garden of the Maids of Honour). The most fascinating garden of its class, it was laid out for the Maids of Honour presented to Maharana Sangram Singh II by the Emperor of Delhi. The garden contains ornamental pools with finely sculptured chhatris of soft black stone surrounded on all sides by a large number of magnificent fountains.

Jagdish Temple
The Jagdish Temple, approached by a wide flight of steps, is dedicated to Vishnu and was built by Maharana Jagat Singh I in 1651. A little below the entrance, on both sides of the steps, are two huge elephants of stone. The temple stands on a rectangular platform 7.6 m. (25 ft.) above the ground and rises to a height of nearly 24 m. (80 ft.). Link all other temples built in the Indo-Aryan style, it has a pillared porch (mandap) and a sanctum (garbhagriha) which is covered by a curvilinear spire (shikhar) crowned by a flat ribbed dish (amalaka) and a finial (kalasa). The platform is decorated with sculptured bands between pilasters, and the walls on the sides of the sanctum contain rows of boldly carved figures and other decorations. The Sanskrit inscription in the porch, dated 1651, gives an account of the reign of Maharana Jagat Singh I. In front of the temple is a shrine with a brass image of Garuda.

The Museum
The Victoria Hall Museum, in the Sajjan Nivas garden, contains some rare antiquities. The historic turban of Prince Khurram, from which the present headgear of Mewar has evolved, is displayed there. Inscriptions of the first and second centuries B.C., sculptures and images from Kumbhalgarh and a number of inscribed Jain images are some of the outstanding exhibits in the museum. In the Saraswati Sadan attached to the museum, there are valuable books on Indology. The Sadan has a remarkable collection of many old and rare manuscripts in Sanskrit, Prakrit, Hindi, Urdu and Persian.

Ahar
About 3 km. (2 miles) to the east of Udaipur lie the remains of the ancient city of Ahar, referred to in old inscription and Jain literature as Aghatpur. According to tradition, it was founded on the site of a still older town, Tambavati Nagari, the home of the ancestors of Vikramaditya before he occupied Ujjain. The cenotaphs of the former rulers of Mewar are located at Ahar and are mostly in the shape of chhatris erected on high plinths. Those of Sangram
Singh II and Maharana Amar Singh I are remarkable for their elegance.


AROUND UDAIPUR
Around Udaipur, there are many places which are known for their scenic charm, architecture, religious or historical associations. These can broadly be grouped under (a) lakes (b) temples and shrines and (c) forts and other historical places.

Lakes: Artificial lakes and dams, so necessary for irrigation in Rajasthan, have offered the builders of Rajasthan scope for the expression of their artistic talents. One of the most beautiful of these lakes, called Rajsamanda, is at Rajnagar 64 km. (40 miles) north of Udaipur on the road to Ajmer. Built by Maharana Rai Singh between 1662 and 1676, it covers an area of 7.7 sq. km. (3 sq. miles). The northern portion of its huge masonry embankment, known as the Nauchoki bund, is about 183 m. (200 yards) long and 64 m. (70 yards) broad and is entirely paved with white marble. A flight of steps descends to the water’s edge. Jutting into the lake are three nicely carved marble pavilions and ornamental arches. The longest Sanskrit inscription, yet discovered in India. is found there. Known as Rajprashasti and dated 1675, it a poem inscribed on twenty-five slabs fixed in the niches of the embankment The inscription gives the history of Mewar with special reference to Maharaja Raj Singh.

Fifty-one kilometers (32 miles) south-east of Udaipur lies Jaisamanda or Dhebar lake. It is one of the largest artificial sheets of water in the world. Fourteen kilometers (9 miles) long and 9.6 km. (6 miles) broad, the lake has a circumference of nearly 48 km. (30 miles) and drains an area of about 1787 sq. km. (690 sq. miles). Its dam, measuring 366 m. (1202 ft.) in length and 35 m. (116 ft.) in height was built by Maharana Jai Singh. Six chhatris with a delicately carved elephant in front of each and a temple of Siva in the centre, stand on the embankment. The island in the lake are inhabited by the aboriginal Bhils and Minas and the area abounds in big game.

Udai Sagar is another pretty lake about 13 km. (8 miles) east of Udaipur. Constructed by Maharana Udai Singh between 1559 and 1565, it has an area of 8 sq. km. (2 sq. miles) and drains about 479 sq. km. (185 sq. miles) of the country. It has a dam of massive stone blocks. Amidst attractive surroundings is another lake – Badi-ka-Talab – built by the mother of Maharana Raj Singh.

Temples and Shrines : The temple of Eklingji, the tutelary divinity of the Maharanas of Mewar, is it Kailashpuri, 22 km. (14 miles) to the north of Udaipur. It is said to have been built originally by Bapa Rawal in the middle of the eighth century. The present structure, however, dates from the days of Maharana Raimal (1473-1509). Built of white marble, it consists of a double-storeyed porch and sanctuary, the former covered by a flat pyramidal roof of many hundred circular knobs and the latter surmounted by a lofty and elaborate shikhar (tower). In the sanctum is a four-faced image of Siva in black marble. Outside the porch, opposite the western face of the image, is the statue of Nandi, the bullmount of Siva. Within the enclosure are some other shrines, of which the one known as Mira bai temple, dedicated to Vishnu, is the most interesting.

Close to Eklingji is Nagda, one of the most ancient places in Mewar, named after its founder Nagaditya. Nagda had to bear the onslaught of many Muslim invasions and is now in ruins. The temples of Sas and Bahu dating from the 11th century are, however, the principal attractions at Nagda. Both the temples are decorated with carvings and sculptures which are unsurpassed in Mewar.

Nathdwara
Nathdwara, the famous Vaishnava centre of pilgrimage, is 26 km. (16 miles) from Eklingji, 48 km. (30 miles) from Udaipur on the Ajmer-Udaipur highway. It is 11 km. (7 miles) from the Nathdwara railway station. This temple of Lord Krishna, styled as Srinathji, attracts thousands of pilgrims every year from all parts of India. The image of Srinathji, in black stone, is said to date from the twelfth century and is associated with Vallabhacharya, a great Vaishnava saint and exponent of the Krishna cult. The image was brought from Mathura in 1669 by Maharana Raj Singh to save it from the iconoclastic fury of Emperor Aurangzeb. The story goes that when the image of Srinathji was being removed in a chariot, the wheels suddenly sank into the earth at the site of its present installation and defied extrication. This was interpreted as the desire of the deity to be installed there. So the place came to be known as Nathdwara. An elaborate ritual characterises the daily worship in the temple.

Sixteen km. (10 miles) from Nathdwara, on the banks of the Rajsamand lake, is Kankroli where another important Vaishnava temple is situated. It is known as the temple of Dwarkadhish, another manifestation of Lord Krishna, and resembles the temple at Nathdwara.

The Jain temple of Rishabhdevji, 64 km. (40 miles) south of Udaipur, is remarkable for its graceful architecture. According to an inscription in the temple, its oldest portion – the sanctuary – was built in the fourteenth century. The image of Rishabhdeva, also called Kesariaji because of the saffron which is offered to it by pilgrims, is of black marble in a sitting posture.

At Kareda, now known as Bhupal Sagar, is another impressive Jain temple dedicated to Parasnath. Built towards the end of the sixteenth century, it has a sculptured, colonnaded vestibule at the entrance with a double-domed sanctuary supported on numerous massive columns. The domes have a diameter of nearly 9 m. (30 ft.) each and are 12 m. (40 ft.) in height.

There are many other old sites in this region where numerous Hindu and Jain temples are situated. These are notable both for their architecture and historical associations. Bijolian, 341 km. (212 miles) north-east of Udaipur, is full of the relics of the past and contains many Siva temples probably of the tenth century, and also a group of five Jain temples of considerable architectural interest dating from the twelfth century. The Jain temples at Delwada, 23 km. (14 miles) north of Udaipur, are large shrines with ornamental decorations. Almost in ruins, Menal, a small village about 161 km. (100 miles) east of Udaipur, possesses some twelfth-century temples which have elegant carvings.

Forts and Other Historical Places: The forts in Mewar were built at strategic points on hills. More than eighty-four fortresses existed in Mewar at one time, besides the celebrated four of Chittor already described.

Sixty-four kilometres (40 miles) to the north of Udaipur, Kumbhalgarh, built by Maharana Kumbha in 1458, stands on a craggy hill, 1087 m. (3,568 ft.) above sea lovel and 213 m. (700 ft.) above the pass at its foot. It commands an impressive view of the rugged Aravalli ranges and the sandy deserts of Marwar. It is the chief of a number of forts built by Maharana Kumbha in 1458. The narrow approach to the fort lies through fortified gateways. On a conical hill, within the fort, rises the inner fortress of Katargarh, topped by a palace built by Maharana Fateh Singh. The objects of interest in the fort are the temples of Nilkantha Mahadeva and Kumbhaswami and the chhatri of Rana Raimal’s son. Some distance from the fort is a Jain temple with a vaulted dome and a colonnade in classic design.

The fort of Mandalgarh on the crest of a hill, surrounded by low ramparts and a bastioned wall, is nearly 161 km. (100 miles) from Udaipur. Reputed to have been built by the Chauhans of Ajmer in the 12th century, it changed hands several times, till Rana Amar Singh II finally took possession of it in 1706. The fortress of Bhainsarodgarh is located on a ridge commanding the Chambal river.

Haldighat, the well-known pass where the historic battle between Rana Pratap and the Mughul forces was fought in April 1576, is 66 km. (41 miles) from Udaipur. A platform, two miles away, marks the spot where Chaitak, the Rana’s faithful horse, breathed his last.
 

Maps
Road Map || Travel Map || Location Map

Cities
Agra || Ajanta || Ajmer || Alwar || Aurangabad || Banswara || Bhandarej || Bharatpur || Bikaner || Bijolia || Bundi || Chittorgarh || Corbett || Delhi || Deogarh || Deeg || Dholpur || Dungarpur || Ellora || Gajner || Goa ||Gwalior || Jaipur || Jaisalmer || Jhalawar || Jhansi ||Jhunjhunu || Jodhpur || Khajuraho ||Khimsar || Kota || Kumbhalgarh || Luni || Madhogarh || Mandawa || Mount Abu || Mumabi || Nagaur || Nathdwara || Neemrana || Nawalgarh || Orchha || Osian || Phalodi || Pokaran || Pushkar || Rajsamand || Ranakpur || Ranthambore || Rohetgarh || Roopangarh || Samode || Sariska || Shekhawati || Sikar || Tonk || Udaipur || Varanasi

Tourist Attractions
Brahma Temple || Brijraj Bhawan Palace || Chambal Garden || City Palace (Jaipur) || City Palace (Udaipur) || Dargah Sharif || Dilwara Temple || Fatehpur Sikri || Gajner Palace || Hawa Mahal || Jag Mandir || Jantar Mantar || Karni Mata Temple || Kota Fort || Lake Palace || Ludurwa Temple || Nathdwara Temple || Nakki Lake || Neemrana Fort Palace || Patwon ki Haveli || Pushkar Lake || Rambagh Palace || Ranakpur Jain Temples || Rao Madho Singhji Museum || Sam Sand Dunes || Siliserh Lake Palace   || Umaid Bhawan Palace || Umed Bhawan Palace   

Forts & Palaces
Amber Fort || Bala Kila || Chittorgarh Fort || Jaigarh Fort || Jaisalmer Fort || Junagarh Fort || Kota Fort || Kumbhalgarh Fort || Lohagarh Fort || Mehrangarh Fort || Taragarh Fort

Museums & Art Galleries
Ajmer Government Museum || Ajmer Archaeological Museum || Albert Hall Museum || Alwar Government Museum || Bharatpur Government Museum || Dungarpur Museum || Fateh Prakash Palace Museum || Hawa Mahal Museum || Jaisalmer Folklore Museum || Jaisalmer Government Museum || Jodhpur Government Museum || Kota Government Museum || Kota Archaeological Museum || Maharaja Sawai Man Singh Museum || Modern Art Gallery || Shilp Gram || Udaipur City Palace Museum || Udaipur Government Museum || Virat Nagar Museum

National Parks & Wildlife Sanctuaries
 Bhensrod Garh Sanctuary || Darrah Sanctuary || Desert National Park || Jaisamand Sanctuary || Keoladeo Ghana National Park || Kumbhalgarh Sanctuary || Mount Abu Sanctuary || Ranthambore National Park || Sariska National Park || Chambal Sanctuary || Sitamata Sanctuary || Talchappar Sanctuary

Adventure Sports
Ballooning || Bicycling || Camel Safari || Camel Polo || Camping || Cart Races || Desert Rallies || Desert Safari || Elephant Safari || Elephant Polo || Gliding || Golf || Horse Safari || Horse Polo || Jeep Safari || Kite-flying || Para-Sailing || Tonga Races || Trekking || Vintage Car Rally

Festivals
Ajmer Urs || Baneshwar Fair || Brij Festival || Camel Festival || Chaksu Fair || Desert Festival || Elephant Festival || Gangaur Festival ||  Mewar Festival || Marwar Festival || Nagaur Fair || Pushkar Fair || Summer Festival || Teej Festival  

Dances
Ghoomar || Gair || Chari Dance || Kachhi Ghodi || Fire Dance || Bhavai || Drum Dance || Kathak || Kathputli || Sapera Dance ||
Terah Tali

 
 

Group Tours

Car Rental

 
:: Home :: email :: Chat  :: Contact :: Enquiry :: About us :: Site Map :: Links

www.rajasthanvisit.com  
Copyright © rajasthanvisit team. All Rights Reserved.