also called Barabagh (Big Garden) is a garden complex which is
situated about 5 kms to the north of Jaisalmer enroute Ramgarh, and
halfway between Lodhruva and Jaisalmer in Rajasthan. It exhibits a
collection of regal cenotaphs, or chhatris of Maharajas of Jaisalmer
state, starting with Jai Singh II.
A successor of Maharawal Jaisal Singh, the founder of the state and
Maharaja of Jaisalmer, Jai Singh II (1688 – 1743), specially made a
dam to create a water tank in the 16th century, when he was the king.
Due to this the desert of the area is Green.
His son Lunkaran built a scenic garden, nearby the lake and he also
built a Cenotaph (Chhatri) on a hill close to the lake in the memory
of his father after the death of his father.
Afterwards, many more cenotaphs were built at this place for Lunkaran
and other Bhattis. The last Chhatri, meant for maharaja Jawahar Singh,
dates back to 20th century and remains unfinished after Indian
Although, the gardens are not visited by people but the cenotaphs are
very interesting place and visited by people.