Nahargarh Fort stands on the border of the Aravalli Hills, neglecting
the pink city of Jaipur in Rajasthan. Jaipur city has an amazing view
from the fort. Initially the fort was named Sudarshangarh, but it
came to be known as Nahargarh, which means 'residence of tigers'.
belief is that Nahar here stands for Nahar Singh Bhomia, whose spirit
disturbed the place and hindered construction of the fort. Nahar's spirit was appeased
by constructing a shrine in his memory within the fort, which thus
came to be known by his name.
Indian Mutiny of 1857, the Europeans of the area together with the
spouse of British Resident's,
were shifted to Nahargarh fort for their
safety by the ruler of Jaipur, Sawai Ram Singh.
construction of the fort was completed during the rule of Sawai Ram
Singh in the year 1868.
In the year 1883-92, a number of palaces were
build at Nahargarh by Sawai Madho Singh.
Madhavendra Bhawan was built inside the fort
which has special suites for the Maharanis of Jaipur and at the top
there was a special suite for the Maharaja.
are connected with each other by corridors and still have some
delicate wall paintings. Nahargarh was also a hunting home of the